Apr. 11, 2021
Biola University has achieved its highest ranking ever from U.S. News & World Report, earning a spot in the top tier of the “Best National Universities” category in the magazine’s newly released “Best Colleges 2011” guide. The annual college rankings, released Aug. 17, also spotlight Biola as one of the country’s 28 “Up and Coming” National Universities.
“Many of us have long believed that the future of Biola University is exceedingly bright,” said Biola President Barry H. Corey. “My sense is that this is being affirmed by others who see a great future in this institution, one which has not abandoned its deepest convictions while continuing to be relevant to the needs of new generations of students.”
For more than 20 years, Biola has been included in the magazine’s list of National Universities, which consists of 262 institutions that “offer a wide range of undergraduate majors as well as masters and doctoral degrees,” according to U.S. News. This year, Biola is ranked in the top tier, which includes the top 75 percent of schools in the National Universities category.
Biola’s inclusion as an “Up and Comer” this year puts it among institutions that have recently implemented the most promising and innovative changes in the areas of academics, faculty, student life, campus or facilities, according to the rankings guide. Schools on the list are “rapidly evolving in ways that the public should be aware of and that are not always quickly noticeable in a college’s year-to-year rankings or the regular peer assessment survey,” the guide notes.
U.S. News also recognizes Biola on its list of “A-Plus Schools for B Students,” reflecting Biola’s commitment to the academic success and vocational preparation of a diverse student body. The list includes schools that may not be household names but have first-rate programs and strong reputations, according to the guide.
To calculate the rankings, U.S. News uses quantitative data that assesses universities’ performance in everything from graduation and retention rates to faculty resources, measuring up to 15 indicators of academic performance. This quantitative data results in 77.5 percent of the overall score; the remaining 22.5 percent is based on undergraduate academic reputation surveys.
The 2011 Edition of “Best Colleges” will be published in the September issue of U.S. News & World Report.
Written by Jenna Bartlo, Media Relations Coordinator. Jenna can be reached at (562) 777-4061 or through email at email@example.com.
Assistant Director of Media Relations and Strategic Communication
Senior Director of University Communications
media [dot] relations [at] biola [dot] edu