Clinton E. Arnold Named Dean of Talbot School of Theology

Biola professor will assume the role in July

May. 11, 2012 By Brenda Velasco

Clinton E. Arnold has been named the sixth dean of Biola’s Talbot School of Theology, following an extensive nationwide search and interview process. On Friday, the Biola Board of Trustees officially affirmed Arnold to assume the role when current Dean Dennis Dirks steps down after 20 years of service in June 2012.

Arnold, a well-known New Testament scholar, currently serves at Talbot as professor of New Testament Language and Literature and chair of the New Testament department. He is a widely published author with extensive leadership experience, including a term as president of the Evangelical Theological Society in 2011, where he continues to serve on the board.

"After going through a thorough and far-reaching search for the next dean of Biola University's Talbot School of Theology, I am deeply pleased to announce our very own Dr. Clint Arnold as dean,” said President Barry H. Corey. “He is far more than a renowned scholar and proven leader, more than an experienced professor who understands the wonderful character of the Talbot community. Dr. Arnold has an unwavering commitment to the convictions of who we are as a theological school within a university, a resolve to work with a team on where we need to go in the coming decade, and a spirit of kindness and humility that we value as fundamental to leadership at Biola University."

Arnold graduated from Biola in 1980 and went on to receive a Master of Divinity degree from Talbot School of Theology in 1983. He received his doctorate in 1986 from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. He met his wife, Barbara, at Biola. They have three sons — Jeffrey (’09), Dustin (’11) and Brandon, a current Biola student.

A respected scholar, Arnold has served as the general editor of the “Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament,” for which he has written the volume on Ephesians, and general editor of the “Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary.” He has also authored many books, such as “How We Got the Bible,” “Ephesians: Power and Magic Powers of Darkness” and “Principalities and Powers in Paul's Letters.”

“I am profoundly grateful for the opportunity to serve the Biola community as the next dean of Talbot School of Theology,” Arnold said. “In the 25 years I have served on the faculty, I have developed an increasing sense of gratitude for the incredible work that God has done in and through Talbot. The thought of investing even more in the future of Talbot brings me great delight.”

“Two of the greatest joys of being a part of this community are the faculty and students,” Arnold said. “The Lord has assembled here a very gifted group of faculty colleagues who are excellent in their respective fields but also possess tender hearts. I look forward to continuing my partnership with these friends in pursuing the mission that God has given to Talbot.”

Dirks, who has led Talbot as dean since 1992 and will continue to serve Talbot in other capacities, said he is thrilled with the selection of Arnold.

“Decades of experience with the school, first as a student and then as a member of the faculty, have nurtured within Clint a rich, nuanced understanding of Biola’s ethos, its ways of accomplishing mission, and its biblical commitments,” Dirks said. “He and his wife, Barbara, have imparted a wealth of knowledge and understanding in and out of the classroom for many years. Clint is a highly respected author and editor, holding a reputation in theological education that is national and worldwide. With strong relational skills, he possesses qualities essential for leading and navigating the complexities of higher education.”

Comments

• Alum May. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, but can he fundraise?

• Jock M.A. Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Please can I get the email address of the Dean of faculty of theology. I need to correspond with him about research.

• David Jones Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM

I am an Elder at CVCC in Chino Hills. A few year ago you provided me with a copy of your Discovery Class cirriculum. Can you provide me with another copy or current version of the Discovery Class. I want to discuss it with a member of our pastoral staff.

• Abram Oct. 16, 2016 at 2:15 PM

Im obliged for the blog post.Really thank you! Will read on...

• Marcelo Nov. 6, 2016 at 1:19 AM

Major thankies for the article post.Thanks Again.

• Ruth Kim May. 18, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Hi Clinton Arnold, Do not publish my email! I like Talbot's conservative and well formed Biblical conviction. I think you are teaching based on the Scripture, too. Then why do you have some supportive graduate student and some students who are involved gay and LGBT? 1) I am one of victims from your school students. Her name is Esabel Arechiga who is a gay. She approached my daughter a year ago. She grabbed my daughter. She told me. She is relly a smart girl and very eloquant. I found out they were dating. I have become a Hurting Mom from that issue. Esabel is studying Theology as M.Div. How is she qualified to your school? Your school, Talbot is the most conservative school, right? Then, how do you allow for gays to admit to study There? I really wonder of it. 2) one of your graduated student is also supporting LGBT. His name is Tim Jang. He tried to persuade me and counsel them. He is a good guy. I thought he counseled with them to help to get out from gay community. However, it was wrong. He supported them. I was so disappointed and frustrated. He gave me the book to read it. It is "People to be Loved." 3) I contacted one of your faculty several months ago to contact the dean. His name is somebody whose name in Hispanic. I forgot his name. He told me he emailed to dean, but I never got the answer at all. 4) I am praying for my daughter who has depression. Esabel used my daughter's weakness to make her partner. I pray for my daughter to get out of LGBT. I need your help, too. Please, contact them and stop them. Because of hurting, I was hospitalized at emergency room and depressed, too. Esabel's phone no. (562) 533- 0901 Tim's phone no. (562) 519 -3154 Do not publish, but I need your response. Thanks! Grace and peace!