Biola Grieves Loss of Employee

University statement on tragic death of April Jace; donations welcomed to support family

May. 20, 2014 By Staff

The Biola University community has received word, with deep sadness, of the tragic death of one of our employees, April Jace, who had worked as a counselor in the Financial Aid Office since March 2013.

The Biola family grieves the loss of a colleague and friend, and mourns along with her family.

“We are obviously shocked and saddened by this terrible news, to lose a wonderful colleague, mother and friend,” said Biola president Barry H. Corey. “The Biola family will stand with this precious family and the employees who are grieving today, and my prayer is that the God of all comfort will be our refuge and peace.”

Our community is in prayer for April’s family and the Financial Aid Office as they deal with the shock of this tragedy. The Financial Aid Office will be closed all day on Tuesday, May 20, 2014.

“April's radiant personality brought great energy to the Financial Aid Office,” said Geoff Marsh, senior director of financial aid. “Her love for helping students and families and her great work ethic earned the respect and love of her coworkers. Her smiling face and helpful spirit will be missed by all.”

Please pray for April's parents as they grieve the loss of their daughter and take on the care of April's two young sons.

Make an online gift to support the family financially during this difficult transition. Checks should be made out to Biola University with reference to the April Jace/Henry Family Fund.

Please mail your gift to:

PO Box 3760
La Mirada, CA 90637-3760

All gifts will be given directly to the Henry family and are therefore not tax deductible.

More information will be added to this page as it becomes available.

For inquiries, contact Jenna Bartlo, media relations specialist, at (949) 521-1829 or .

Comments

• cynthia mosqueda May. 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM

My heart goes out to April's family kay, carlo, and john during this tragic loss. You were a wonderful person and did not deserve this outcome.

• Sam Smith May. 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Very sad loss to the Biola family. I am an alumni of Biola & when I heard that she worked there it was heart wrenching. My prayers goes out to her family & friends.

• Dr. Sandra Burton Thurman May. 20, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I grew up in a domestic violent household. My heart and prayers go out to April Jace's family & Friends especially her sons. I hope they will be able to talk about what happen and what they heard during the evening hours of that horrible night. A mother is truly special and is very needed in the growth of her children especially when she is taken away so tragically. May God be with this family now and forever. RIP April Jace.

• Greer Bascom May. 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Another sad day for Biola......Praying for the family, which includes Biola.

• Julie Dymmel Sagatelian May. 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM

What a shockingly tragic loss for the Biola family. Even though I didn't know April, she was part of our family. As a Mom, my heart just breaks for her precious children who have not only lost their mother but now they will lose their father too. We need to be on our knee's in prayer for the kids & find a way that the Biola family can be a support through counseling, future scholarships, etc. They will suffer from the scares created by adult choices for the rest of their lives. We can help them turn this family tragedy into something positive to bring Glory to God!

• Michele McArtgur May. 20, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Our family is truly heartbroken for April's family. I was working with April on a special circumstance for financial aid for my daughter who will be attending Biola in the fall. April was a pleasure and very personable and thorough. May the God of the Bible comfort her family...and the Holy Spirit convict her husband. Sweet Jesus..we know you are holding her now. Thank you for your salvation.

• Michele B May. 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Simply heart breaking. April was so kind to my son who is incoming this Fall. My condolences to the Biola family . May the peace of the Holy Spirit be with you to comfort you all in this difficult time. Praying for her precious children. May God have mercy on her husband...

• mostafa abounour May. 21, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Mijn condoleance voor ons allemaal.

• Rev. Robert Fritch May. 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM

My heart goes out to the whole Biola family and may God give his comfort and grace to April's family and to the children who have lost a mother! Blessings, Biola Alumni '81

• Cori M. May. 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I am in disbelief! I got to know April last semester when she helped me navigate through finaid red tape. Daily I used to see her and talk with her about my finaid and other things. She commented, once, on my hair saying, " I think I've been workin' with you a really long time to know when you change your hair color." This little comment shows her diligence in her work and clear attention to detail. I felt very cared by April. Her joyful personality always lightened the mood in the office, even when she was reporting bad news with my account. I wouldn't have been able to stay at Biola and graduate this spring semester if it wasn't for April's vast knowledge of Biola's system and her motivating encouragement for me to continue trying, even when I was staring in the face of hopelessness. May The Lord comfort and provide for her family during this time of loss.

• NIcholas S. Alvarez May. 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I'm saddened to hear of such a tragic event. Although I did not know April Jace, having heard that she was employed at Biola Univ. made it personal. May her family, children and the entire Biola community find comfort and peace in all of God's everlasting glory. Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved. Psalm 55:22

• Delores Richardson May. 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I was so very sad to hear of this tragedy!! I did not know April, but I am a mother of three sons and my heart aches for her family and I pray that they have Peace & Comfort at this difficult time.

• Liz Chavez May. 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I did not know April but when I heard the news on the radio then later read at work that she was part of the Biola family, I was in shock. I did have the opportunity to speak to Kay about registering her grandsons in our swim program. My heart grieves for those 2 little boys who have so suddenly and tragically lost their mama. Praying for you Kay and the entire family who have been affected. April is with Jesus now and we will see her again. May God give you strength, comfort and peace during what will surely be a difficult road ahead.

• A.E.F.C May. 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I will be praying for her family.

• Cliff Billings May. 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I wish to express my prayers & deepest sympathy for all of April & Michael's, family & friends! It is a loss for all for awhile, but a gain for April now, as she is in heaven with our Lord & Savior, Jesus Christ! As a Biola alum, I join with my Biola family in expressing my love, prayers, & concern for all who are effected by this tragedy, which includes students, staff, & faculty, & fellow alumni! May we remember God's great love for us, "in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us"! I hope & pray for the salvation of all in need! May our Heavenly Father bless & comfort all of you, who are mourning!

• Anna Campos May. 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I didn't know April personally, but last year she greatly helped our family with her professional knowledge of explaining the options for student loans. My daughter attends Biola because a person like April genuinely cared with hope in faith that God would make a way for Ashley to attend her second year. April's kindness, attitude and help will be greatly appreciated always. Thank you April, you will be missed. May this tragic accident some how, some way bring glory to God to help other women who need to know the saving grace of our Lord Jesus.

• Brittany Cervantes May. 21, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I'm shocked to hear this and saddened by this news. My heart goes out to the family and I know God will hear our prayers. Being a recent grad, I'm deeply sad that this happened to my family - the Biola family!

• Jan May. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Her husband will pay for his crimes.

• Debbie Torres May. 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM

I am a grandmother of a freshman student who just finished her first year. Our family loves Biola, the students, the staff and what our Lord is doing at Biola. I am very sad to hear of this tragic news and pray that our Lord Jesus Christ will continue to minister to the family, especially her parents and children. May the staff at Biola also be comforted by our sweet and precious Jesus. I am praying that if there are any others at Biola, staff or students who are in a relationship that is abusive, that they will seek help and safety for themselves and any others involved.

• Donna Cornett May. 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM

We will truly miss April as she was such an angelic radiant person. Her smile lit up the room. She has brought special meaning to so many lives of the people that have come into contact with her. My son was her middle son's friend and we came to love April dearly. Her family is in our prayers daily.

• June Hetzel May. 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM

April was a treasured friend of the School of Education. We mourn with her family and are grateful for the time we knew April. She brought a lot of laughter and fun to the School of Education. She had a huge impact on her colleagues and the young women that she mentored across campus. Let us be faithful in supporting and interceding for family and friends. May we remember the smiles, the laughter, and her loving heart towards people. April set a great example for all of us in what it meant to live in the joy of the Lord.

• Susan Sly Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM

My prayers will be with the children; may they be wrapped in Lord's comfort, peace, provision, presence. So sorry to hear of April's death.