University Grieves the Passing of Professor Robert Saucy

Memorial service to be held on Sunday, March 29, from 2 to 4 p.m.

Mar. 13, 2015 By Jason Newell

The Biola University community is grieving the passing of Robert L. Saucy, a respected theologian and author who impacted thousands of students during a 54-year teaching career at Biola’s Talbot School of Theology. The beloved 84-year-old distinguished professor of systematic theology died on March 12 as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident.

The university’s longest-serving current professor, Saucy was widely known for his contributions as a theologian, particularly in the areas of eschatology and ecclesiology. He was a past president of the Evangelical Theology Society and was one of three scholars who worked on both the original 1971 translation of the New American Standard Bible and its 1995 update. As one of the few Biola faculty members to hold the title of distinguished professor, he held a highly selective rank granted only in exceptional circumstances to nationally recognized scholars.

“For his many accomplishments, Dr. Saucy was first and foremost a man who loved Jesus Christ and nourished himself with God’s Word — such that Scripture flowed freely and reverently from his lips,” said Biola President Barry H. Corey. “We grieve that we have lost this humble and wise man of faith, but rejoice in the knowledge that he is now with the Savior he loved, served and proclaimed throughout his life.”

Saucy was born and raised in Salem, Ore., and gave his life to Christ at a young age. After serving on active duty in the military from 1948 to 1949, he earned an undergraduate degree in history from Westmont College and two graduate degrees — a Th.M. and Th.D. — from Dallas Theological Seminary.

He joined the faculty of Talbot School of Theology in 1961 — a time when the school had less than 50 students — and remained a faithful fixture as the school grew dramatically in size and diversity over the years. During more than five decades as a professor, he equipped thousands of students to understand, teach and apply the Word of God.

He also authored numerous influential books, including The Church in God’s Program, The Case for Progressive Dispensationalism, Men and Women in Ministry: A Complementary Perspective and Scripture: Its Authority, Power and Relevance. His most recent, Minding the Heart: The Way of Spiritual Transformation, explored the Bible’s teaching on how to grow spiritually and experience more of God’s abundant life, as he explained in a 2013 interview with Talbot’s Good Book Blog.

“There is no one who had more influence in shaping Talbot than Dr. Robert Saucy,” said Clinton E. Arnold, dean and professor of New Testament at Talbot. “The impact that he had did not come from position or power, but from his godly character and gracious manner. All of us at Talbot had the deepest and most profound respect for Dr. Saucy because we knew that he was a fount of wisdom formed by many years of meditating and reflecting on God’s Word.”

Colleagues remembered Saucy as a man of sharp intellect and steady integrity.

“Bob was one of the most sincere, transparent and consistent Christians I have ever met,” said professor Alan Gomes, who had an office next to Saucy’s for more than 27 years. “I saw him in every situation conceivable over those 27 years and he was as steady, stable and kind an individual as you could ever imagine. … More than anything else, Bob Saucy was a man of the Word. He knew the Word like few ever do, loved the Word, and lived the Word. I have never seen anyone so perfectly integrate the heart and the head as Bob.”

Scott Rae recalled being interviewed by the distinguished theologian for a potential teaching position back when Rae was still a young rookie.

“During the interview, he wanted to ask a few more questions of me on a particular point, and he said, ‘I’d like to pursue this further, I want to learn something!’ I was stunned that such a distinguished professor actually thought he could learn something from me!” said Rae, now a professor of Christian ethics and dean of Talbot’s faculty. “I will always remember his gentle spirit, incredibly sharp mind, and humble desire to let others have the credit.”

Michael J. Wilkins, distinguished professor of New Testament language and literature, said his own thinking, spiritual development and personal growth as a professor had been influenced more by Saucy than any other person.

“Bob Saucy was the heart and soul of Talbot for over 54 years,” said Wilkins, who came to Talbot as a student in 1974 and as a professor in 1983. “In my opinion no one person has influenced students and alumni more than Bob. And no one has had more direct influence on the theological integrity and growth in theological clarity than Bob.”

The Biola community is in prayer for the Saucy family, including his wife, Nancy, son Mark (also a longtime professor of theology at Talbot) and daughter Brenda, as well as his many friends and colleagues. Details of a memorial service will be shared in the coming days.

A collection of Saucy’s lectures can be found at open.biola.edu.

UPDATE:

A memorial service for Robert Saucy was held at Biola on March 29, 2015, and may be viewed below.

In lieu of flowers, you may contribute to either of the ministries below, which were close to Dr. Saucy’s heart.

Kyiv Theological Seminary is an extension of Talbot School of Theology, located in Kyiv, Ukraine. The mission of the seminary is to prepare believers for an effective ministry so that they are able to lead others in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. (Please make checks payable to “SEND International.”)

SEND International
P.O. Box 513
Farmington, MI 48332
www.send.org

Chosen People Ministries exists to pray for, evangelize, disciple, and serve Jewish people everywhere and to help fellow believers to do the same.

Chosen People Ministries
241 E. 51st Street
New York, NY 10022
www.chosenpeople.com

Awana Lifeline is a ministry to inmates and their children. Their vision is that every child would have a godly father and mother who are building a legacy of faith in Christ.

Awana Lifeline
1 E. Bode Road
Streamwood, IL 60107
www.awanalifeline.org

Please contact Katie Wong at katie.wong@biola.edu with questions.

Comments

• Mark DaDeppo Mar. 13, 2015 at 10:40 AM

I remember Dr. Saucy as a man who was always generous with his time. As my MDiv. advisor (1979-1981), he was always available, accepted my lack of biblical knowledge and led me, in a fatherly way, to deeper and clearer understanding of the scriptures. The light of his life will always burn bright for me. My prayers go out to Nancy, Mark and Brenda. May the God of ALL comfort be with you (2 Cor. 1:3-4).

• Robert Lledo Mar. 13, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Wow - I feel several simultaneous emotions at this news: saddened at the loss of a wonderful Christian man and scholar, who affected so many lives (what will Talbot be like without him?) – gratitude for having known him (being Dr. Saucy’s TA for a few years and recently finishing up a THM thesis with him, I spent some of the best times at Talbot discussing theology and life in his office:) – and absolute awe of what this distinguished humble man must now see in the face of His God, hearing “well done good and faithful servant . . . enter into the joy of your master!” May God greatly comfort his family and friends on earth, who are now waiting to see him again in glory! With all my heart in Christ I pray – amen!

• Sandra Mar. 13, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Dr. Saucy was my Theology professor when I studied at Talbot during the early 80"s when there were very few women at the seminary. He was always encouraging and holding us to high standards in our studies and pursuit of ministry. I give thanks for his life and influence.

• Rex Morishita Mar. 13, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Dr. Saucy's passing is a huge loss for church. He served the Lord well. As a young man in my late 20s I attended Talbot and no man impacted me more in my biblical and theological thinking than him. He was truly a pillar for truth and was a model of humility. Now in my 40s, I consider the things I learned from him both in the classroom and outside the classroom (he was my advisor) as foundational to what I believe today. He will be missed. Thankful he is now in glory with our Lord Jesus.

• Allan M. Stensvad Mar. 13, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Margaret and I lived in campus housing during three of our 4 years at Dallas Theological Seminary - in a house that had been divided into three apartments - two down and one upstairs. Bob and Nancy lived upstairs. It was a special privilege to have them as neighbors during those years. Very special and godly examples. So privileged to have known them

• Gregory Lawhorn Mar. 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Dr. Saucy was a wonderful, godly, gentle man. He taught me more about teaching through his conduct in the classroom and private discussions than I ever learned elsewhere. After 23 years I still ask, "How would Saucy answer this?"

• Steven Park Mar. 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Dr. Saucy was such a wonderful man. He could be tough on sloppy theological thinking but I remember how he stopped me and asked how I was doing after my father passed away. I will cherish my time with him.

• Allan Bushnell Mar. 13, 2015 at 6:48 PM

I was blessed to spend time in a couple of classes with Dr. Saucy, and was even more blessed by the humility he walked in. He remains one of the most brilliant men I have ever studied under, and he truly shaped a lot of the way I understand my passion for the Word and for loving and training others. He challenged me to think outside the box I was developed as I grew up in the church and truly opened my eyes to the depth of theological study. I am still shocked at the news of his departure to be with Jesus, and have many mixed emotions. I am saddened that I will never walk into Talbot and see him present again, but even more, I am thankful that he is now with The Lord whom he served so faithfully. I will never forget this wise, kind, compassionate and sincere Christ Follower, nor will I forget the lessons he taught me during my time at Talbot! My thoughts and prayers are with Nancy, Dr. Mark Saucy (who I was also blessed to take courses from) and Brenda. I can only imagine how difficult his absence is, but trust that the Father will comfort you all in the days, weeks, months and years ahead. For each of us blessed by this amazing man, it remains for us to pick up the torch he carried and continue to light the way for all those who seek to know Christ better! Let is faithfully run the race, as Bob Saucy so clearly exemplified for all of us.

• Mike McNeff Mar. 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM

I had the honor of knowing Dr. Saucy before I attended Talbot in the early 80s. We attended the same church and were also part of a Saturday morning basketball group which Mark was in as well. During my seminary years he and I would have lunch together and talk about everything from theology to sports to literature to family. He was always gracious and a delight to spend time with. The fact that he would make so much time for me during my student years at Talbot I have always appreciated as a great gift. To Nancy, Mark, and Brenda, may God comfort you as only He can. We cry with you while we look forward to heaven with even more intense desire.

• Dr. Alice Stanback Mar. 13, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Dr Saucy I love you dearly, yet I know you are with YHWH now. You are truly a blessed man and I will love and cherish you always. I truly thank you for teaching me, and I will see you again in everlasting bliss and peace!

• Randy Sung Ju Mar. 14, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I met Dr. and Mrs. Saucy in early February 2015 at one of the Starbucks Coffee Shop near Buena Park. He told me that he is finishing up his teaching at Talbot at the end of May this year. He recognized me after 25 some years. It is my honor to know him as a professor, a mentor and a great man of God. We shall all missed him greatly.

• Dr. George Giacumakis, Hist., Cal State Fullerton Mar. 14, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Thank you, Lord, for the privilege of knowing and working with Prof. Robert Saucy, a dear friend and colleague. We first met while working together on a Bible Translation Committee at the Lockman Foundation. Over the years his insightful comments and writings have blessed me so very much.

• paul sailhamer Mar. 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM

Some of the longest lunches and conversations of my life were with Dr. Saucy. I have known him for over 40 years but he will always remain Dr. Saucy to me, not because he expected or demanded it but because I always remained his student even as a friend. I thank the Lord for his influnce in my life and will be praying for his family now that he has left the land of the dying for the land of the living! psailhamer

• Chuck Coventon Mar. 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Thank you Lord for the privilege of knowing the Saucy family. Sue and I attended the same church as the Saucys while our children grew up through junior high school and on to college. As an example of how much we respected and admired their family, Sue and I had pre-selected for our two children (in our minds at least) marriage partners between the families.....which, of course, did not happen. But I know the Godly legacy of Bob Saucy will never end.

• Byron Siemsen Mar. 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM

What a gentle, wise and loving man of God! In my personal interactions with Dr. Saucy I found him to be so humble in spite of having some of the fullest insight, and deepest understanding of the ways of God and Scripture yet he still asked what I though about things! Counsel he has given me personally to this day remain of great influence. I will miss him greatly. My prayers are with you his wonderful family.

• John Hutchison Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Bob Saucy was one of the wisest, kindest, and widely respected professors that I shall ever know. His sharp, inquisitive mind was always one step ahead of his students (& his fellow professors!) . . . asking probing questions in his one-of-a-kind catechetical teaching style . . . guiding his students & friends to think clearly and biblically at all times. Yet Bob was a gracious, humble, and compassionate man who genuinely cared about others. He will be deeply missed, and our prayers go out for his wonderful family.

• Ken Wiens Mar. 15, 2015 at 10:44 PM

I had courses in Systematic Theology with Dr. Saucy. A sharper mind one could not find I do not believe. He lived what he taught. He was one of the most godly men I've ever known. He exhibited a living faith alongside a sharp, probing mind. He kept us on our intellectual feet and constantly challenged us to walk with our Lord and Savior every moment of every day. I am very saddened and offer my condolences to his family. He is with his Lord now, in this we can rejoice.

• Jon McNeff Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:27 AM

It would be hard to imagine someone whom I respect more than Dr. Saucy. In high school he was "Dr. Bob" as he led various Bible studies for HS and college students at our church. When I attended Talbot he became "Dr. Saucy" out of respect for his Biblical knowledge, clear thinking, and gentle demeanor. He was always a gentleman, whether discussing theology or playing some spirited pick-up basketball games with his son Mark and other friends. Nancy, Mark, and Brenda are in my prayers as they grieve the loss of this man of integrity who walked humbly with the Lord.

• Mickey Klink Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I was honored to work with Dr. Saucy for nine years at Talbot. He blended perfectly solid biblical conviction with grace and humility. His influence on students can never be quantified, but certainly his passion for God's Word, especially the OT, will span two generations of pastors who studied under him. I thank the Lord for him.

• Dr. Edward Hayes, Pres. Emeritus Denver Seminary Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:10 AM

We have known Dr. Bob Saucy since our college days at Westmont College and have followed his teaching career and ministry with high interest. During our seminary years at Dallas we were instrumental in introducing Bob to Nancy. I began my own teaching career at Biola years ago, and despite my trying to entice him away to teach at Denver Seminary, he had a dedicated sense of purpose in remaining at his post at Talbott where he served so faithfully. May God sustain his family during this loss.

• Ed Enochs Mar. 16, 2015 at 1:07 PM

I took a theology class with Dr. Saucy back in the 1990's and was really blessed by his intellect and integrity. It was a great class and I will always remember Dr. Saucy. I had many conversations with him and will miss him greatly.

• John Coe Mar. 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Dr. Saucy has been such an influential person in my life. He was one of my favorite professors and thesis advisor at Talbot. When in further graduate school, Dr. Saucy invited me back to teach Apologetics and Contemporary Theology at Talbot. The highlight was team-teaching with him for 15 years in Theology of Human Nature. Bob had such an impact on my thinking about the faith and spiritual growth. We was rigorously and joyously thoughtful, kind, gentle and wise. He was a father to me. I will miss him deeply. Dr. John Coe

• Jerry Root Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:29 AM

I loved Dr. Saucy and I love Jesus more because of him. When I went to Talbot as a student I was undisciplined. My heart was willing but I lacked the rigor necessary to be successful academically. Dr. Saucy's life, and demeanor, made me hungry to want to grow. I desperately wanted to learn when he was teaching. He used the Socratic method better than anyone I have ever seen. He was a master teacher. He nurtured his students by taking what they said seriously, then guiding them from that point; he seemed to always know when to prune and when to cultivate. Consequently, conversations with him demanded one be on his toes. He was full of good humor, fun to talk with, and one always left his presence wanting to know more. Furthermore, he was a Christlike man. I count it one of the great privileges of my life to have been one of his students and will miss him sorely.

• Jeffrey Clark Mar. 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM

I have very fond memories of speaking with Dr. Saucy in his office about pastoral ministry and personal matters. He was transparent with me and willing to be vulnerable in the Christian way. He didn't come off like someone who had all the answers, but that served to motivate me in the way of Jesus Christ. I owe a huge debt to Dr. Saucy and how he was a model in Christian leadership. He showed me something about love for God and my neighbor.

• TimThompson Mar. 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Dr. Saucy had a huge impact on my life. He was foundational of helping this new Christian and young student in forming his own theology. Dr. Saucy was kind enough to sit on my ordination council. All that knowledege he had, he could have nailed me to the wall but being the gracious many hew was he didn't do that at my ordination. I wish that I could be half the man and Christian that Dr. Saucy was.

• Robert Mitchell Mar. 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM

I had Dr. Saucy as a professor from 1971-74 when I attended Talbot Theological Seminary. Dr. Saucy was sharp in theological thinking and extremely approachable and gentle in the way he dealt with students. I always learned from his classes in Systematic Theology. He was a master teacher and had a special ability to engage students in the subject. He always wanted us to go directly to the Bible for our studies and use scholastic tools such as Kittel (yes, all 10 volumes!).

• Robert Melotti, Pastor Mar. 19, 2015 at 7:19 PM

It's almost impossible to imagine Talbot without Dr. Saucy. I'm eternally grateful to God for the life of such a dear saint who profoundly impacted my understanding of theology. His great patience, investment of time, and probing questions of my thinking as a student helped shape who I am today. My congregation and the generations after them will continue to feel the ripple effects of his influence on the church. Dr. Saucy's legacy is a testimony to the greatness of God who gives wonderful gifts. I will miss him, but I rejoice that he is with his Savior and I will see him again in heaven.

• Pat Ohlsen Mar. 20, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I remember Dr. Saucy from my days at Biola (class of '61) and Talbot. What struck me during those days was his humility, graciousness, and hospitality. I moved to Salem, Oregon in 1978 and raised my family here and taught here. I did not know that Dr Saucy was born and raised in Salem. I moved to Monmouth, Oregon in 2004, but have strong ties to Salem, now they are even stronger.

• Kathy Buss Johnston Mar. 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM

I know Dr. and Mrs. Saucy have left us a dynamic Christian Legacy! Bonnie and I were both in Sigma Chi. Our kids don't know each other, but both families( and grandparents) have invested in Christian Education at Heights Christian Elementary and Heights Jr. High! Now both of our teens are at Sonora High School!

• Jocelyn Brunson Mar. 21, 2015 at 7:42 PM

I'm thankful to have had been one of Dr. Saucy's students back in 1987-1988. Talbot School of Theology will not be the same without him. He really knew his subjects he taught very well. I remembered how amazed I was when I first heard him teach. Dr. Saucy was definitely a person who was also patient to answer the students who needed to know the answers to what was teaching.

• Dr Keith Graham Mar. 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM

We were deeply sadden to learn of the passing of Dr Saucy via the alumni newsletter. To me Dr Saucy was more than just a brilliant lecturer, he became my friend and mentor. I was privileged to take two classes with him: (1) "The Theology of Human Nature," and "Pneumatoloy." Dr Saucy was one of the persons on my Dissertation Committee. He feed back, probing questions and wise counsel were invaluable.

• Dr. Mauro Caputi Mar. 24, 2015 at 6:43 AM

My connection with Dr. Saucy was through his association with Dr. Neil Anderson, former Professor at Talbot and founder of Freedom in Christ Ministries. I read through the entire book that they wrote together, "The Common Made Holy" a few years ago, using it as a daily devotional for several months. The fairly large section on meditating on God's word was the most powerful and meaningful that I've ever read. I read the entire book a second time while leading an Adult Bible Fellowship study group through the book. I was so saddened to hear of his passing today through the Parent email newsletter. His writings were so helpful in my spiritual formation and development.

• Mauricio Escobedo Mar. 24, 2015 at 4:39 PM

I must concur completely with Professor Gomes' observation, “Bob was one of the most sincere, transparent and consistent Christians I have ever met.” Dr. Saucy was, in my estimation, one of those very rare men of whom the world was not worthy.

• Dr. Rick Franklin Mar. 25, 2015 at 3:39 PM

Dr. Saucy's imprint on my life may be hard to articulate but is unmistakable. He helped form my deep commitment to the Word of God and to "practice" theology, not merely study it. It was a privilege to study under Dr. Saucy in numerous classes and to eventually teach for him on occasion as I pursued my ThM in Systematic Theology. There is no doubt, Dr. Saucy will be greatly missed as will his sage yet humble wisdom along with the twinkle in his eye when asking a question. Well done, good and faithful servant of Jesus!

• Jim Learned Mar. 26, 2015 at 5:26 PM

I met Dr. Saucy in the summer of 1987 when he was my professor in my first Talbot class, Eschatology and Ecclesiology. For the next 4 weeks I was full time focused on this class which I knew going in would be my most challenging class. I remember going up to Dr. Saucy after the second day and confessing I did not see how I was going to be able to accomplish this amount of reading. He calmly told me to keep track of my hours and see how it went. His gentle confidence in me was enough to successfully complete this awesome class. He had an amazing way of making the material clear and relevant. What a gift. Dr. Saucy was also an invaluable gift to Dr. Neil Anderson when Neil was creating the Freedom in Christ books and ministry. He "checked out" all of Neil's writing and coauthored with Neil the book "The Common Made Holy" which was invaluable to me as I researched for a recovery ministry we developed at our church. Dr. Saucy has given so many Christian servants an invaluable gift and I am so grateful to be one of them. I will miss him till we meet again.

• Dr. Hozell C. Francis Mar. 26, 2015 at 7:42 PM

Although I have not had much contact with Dr. Saucy since I graduated in 1988 and 1996, I still miss his presence with us. Indeed, he made an indelible impression on me! I still, recall the interactions and even "some" content, gleaned from time spent in his Ecclesiology class. Dr. Saucy's insight and depth of spiritual thought were instrumental in the way that I have lived, taught and preach during the last thirty years.

• Hugo E. Garcia Mar. 27, 2015 at 11:22 AM

I will always remember Dr. Saucy's answer to many questions from the students: "What do you mean by that?" He always forced the students to expand on their own questions. His contributions to the life of many is invaluable and will never be forgotten.

• Laura Botka Mar. 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I have fond memories of Dr. Saucy since I went to high school, Biola, and church with his kids. I love reading all of the comments about him. What a legacy he left! He was a deep thinker but also down-to-earth. My heart goes out to Nancy, Mark & Bonnie, and Brenda & Doug. I will be praying for you during this difficult time of grief.

• Willie Green Mar. 28, 2015 at 5:39 PM

I have always wanted to go to Biola since my inception of new birth and I am so bless to have met and to have been trained in the Bible by Dr. Robert Saucy who started in 1961, a year after I was born, and for him to remain there until I graduated in 2014 is a blessing beyond words. Often the question is asked, "Whether your gray hairs are an insult or a crown? But there is no doubt that Dr. Saucy's gray hair was his splendor and crown attained by a life a righteousness". A true saint!

• Anonymous Mar. 29, 2015 at 3:17 PM

The books are in boxes, the diplomas are neatly stored, and except for the one picture that is on my chest of drawers there are no trinkets of my time spent at Talbot. The picture has the image of the man who treated me with kindness and respect, and even though I was rough and still ready to mix it up, his example tenderized my heart.

• David Hernandez Mar. 29, 2015 at 10:36 PM

I first met Dr. Saucy when I was a child, and would go over to his house to play with his son Mark. In reading these other testimonies, it is quite evident that his whole life was one dedicated to a God that he loved and that loved Him. He was always the nicest man to us and was always so happy. It is obvious where his joy originated from. I am sure our Lord continues to tell him, "Well done, my good and faithful servant!" God bless you Mr. Saucy! My prayers go out to Mrs. Saucy, Mark, Brenda and their families.

• Karen Choi Apr. 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Dr. Saucy was my systematic theology professor, dissertation advisor, and a role model who mentored me for the past fifteen years. His deepest love and respect for the Word, the truth, and how he lived it out so beautifully in such grace and humility profoundly impacted my life. From him, I saw that it is possible for a human being to live a life that truly reflects Christ and honors God in all aspects of life. The very first time I went to his office to ask a question back in the late 1990s, I was not even his student. He did not know who I was. Yet, not only did he take time to listen to my question, but he later went to the library to look for a book that was out of print, found out the section that would be helpful, wrote down the page numbers and put it in my Talbot mailbox. I was deeply moved. I still have that note with the page numbers. I kept it all these years to remind myself of the lesson I learned from him on that day -- his humility. That is how Dr. Saucy has been throughout the years I have known him. Though doctoral study was challenging and I had wished on more than one occasion for it to be over, the times I spent in his office learning from him, especially the topic he is so passionate about, transformation of the “heart,” was the most memorable and exhilarating time of my entire study at Talbot which I will always cherish. I am deeply saddened, though I am grateful that He will be seeing the Lord face to face now, for I have lost the great mentor who so selflessly invested countless hours in guiding me and showing me the way. I am deeply grateful. He is gone to be with the Lord but his teaching will live on in my heart. I would like to express my deepest gratitude and condolences to Mrs. Saucy and the entire Saucy family.

• Kenneth Samples Apr. 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM

I last saw Dr. Saucy in November 2014 at the ETS conference in San Diego. He attended a panel discussion that I was participating in. When I saw him I shook hands with him and told him that he was my favorite seminary professor at Talbot School of Theology. Upon learning of his death I'm so glad I had the opportunity to thank him for his many years of dedicated teaching. Professor Saucy was a gracious and thoughtful man and when I think of him it motivates me to want to live a more authentic and humble Christian life. Whenever I walk into Myers Hall at Biola to teach a class in the apologetics program I always think of him. I'm grateful that he is now in the presence of Christ but I personally miss him. My sincere condolences to the Saucy family.

• Earl and Ruth Radmacher Apr. 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Although my husband is now with Bob and the Savior they served, I am saddened -- and yet happy -- to hear of Bob's home going. We lived in that same complex on Apple Street as the Saucy's and the Stensvads -- but loved it for the interaction with others. Bob and Earl often studied into the night with each other -- loud and boisterous -- but friendly and helpful. My heart goes out to Nancy -- we loved them both.

• COLIN ATKINSON May. 27, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I AM A CATHOLIC AND HAVE BEEN READING THE INCREDIBLE LIFE OF DR. SAUCEY. MAY I BE PERMITTED TO PRAY THAT:-'' MAY HOLY MARY, THE ANGELS AND THE SAINTS COME TO MEET YOU AS YOU GO FORTH FROM THIS LIFE. MAY YOU SEE YOUR GOD FACE TO FACE. COLIN(ROMANIA)

• Brian Keay Jul. 23, 2015 at 9:15 PM

I learned of Dr. Saucy's death unexpectedly as I was watching one of his videos online recently. I had him for more classes than any other theology professor (1989-1991) and he made such an impact. When I would speak to him after class (which we were always welcome) he would ask great questions to those of us in the counseling program, helping us to integrate our theology. I was able to see him a few times over the many years since then and have always remembered and been encouraged by his teaching and his spirit. I loved the way he would answer a question with another question or Scripture, and he always did it with a good-natured quirk... when he could have easily exposed our ignorance and young seminarian tender egos. If there are modern prophets, its not the ones who are showy- it would be a humble man like Dr. Saucy who was so wise, so faithful, so patient, to so many, for so many years. He was a man used by God in the most profoundest of ways! I know this post is late in coming but our family will continue to pray for his surviving family and close friends as their loss is great.

• Santo Oct. 16, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Major thankies for the article post.Really thank you! Keep writing.

• Porfirio Oct. 16, 2016 at 1:56 PM

This is one awesome article post.Thanks Again. Will read on...