Biola University's President Reflects on Nabeel Qureshi's Passing

Sep. 16, 2017 By Office of the President

Biola University graduate and friend, our brother, God's child and a voice of hope for millions is being remembered around the world today, September 16, 2017. Nabeel Qureshi, good and faithful servant, was a renowned scholar, apologist, award-winning author, and beloved evangelist of our time. Nabeel, age 34, dedicated his life to spreading the Gospel through teaching, preaching, writing, and debating. He chronicled his journey to Christianity in his first book, Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus. He lectured to students at more than 100 universities, including Oxford, Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, the University of Hong Kong, and here with us at Biola. He participated in 18 moderated, public debates around North America, Europe, and Asia. Christianity Today named Qureshi as one of “33 Under 33” in its cover story on emerging religion leaders in July 2014.

We had the privilege of hearing Nabeel (Master of Arts in Christian apologetics '08) share the commencement address at our graduation ceremonies in December of 2016. He touched on his personal journey of faith through his battle of stomach cancer and urged the graduates to spread life into the world. It was one of the most moving addresses I have ever heard. Please join me in keeping the Qureshi family, his wife Michelle, and young daughter in your prayers.

Comments

• Pereyra Family Sep. 16, 2017 at 4:03 PM

My husband graduated and we had the honor to hear Nabeel and will never forget the amazing address he gave and encouragement. We are praying for his family that the Lord would give them peace and comfort as the Mourn.

• Bejerano Family Sep. 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM

My heartfelt condolences to Nabeel's loved ones. May The Lord bring comfort and support to them.

• Davis Family Sep. 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM

Praying for Nabeel's family that they would be comforted during this very difficult time. His story, testimony, godly walk with Christ, and beautiful life will be remembered by all who were blessed to have known him.

• Claudia Kalmikov Sep. 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM

My husband and I were graduates from the MACA program that day when Nabeel gave the commencement address on Dec. 16, 2016 (exactly nine months ago today). It was the most powerful, compelling speech I had ever heard. You could hear a pin drop that day. It was a joy and an honor to have Nabeel as our speaker. Nabeel was a powerful and effective apologist and he will be missed greatly. I thank Biola for what you taught Nabeel, which contributed to the great apologist he became, and for having him teach and speak there.

• Lynne Toombs Sep. 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM

A wonderful, Godly young man whom God used mightily during his short stay here....We are so grateful for Nabeel and rejoice to know he is hearing his Savior say"Well done good and faithful servant.."🙌🙌

• Karen Goodman Sep. 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM

I also was a Master of Arts in Christian Apologetics graduate when Nabeel came to speak. As my final semester was underway, and the focus of graduation loomed, I thought/prayed how wonderful it world be if Nabeel could be the Commencement speaker, but since he had just been diagnosed with cancer, I believed it was improbable. When Biola announced that he would be our speaker, my heart was overjoyed, and I immediately told all my fellow students via social media. His speech was amazing, the prayers that were offered up for Nabeel by the students, faculty and visitors were beyond moving. It was a small taste of heaven. Now Nabeel is experiencing the real thing. But he has left us a challenge of sorts, to continue the work that God gave him with love for those who are lost. The question we must ask ourselves is "Will I take up where Nabeel left off or will I leave it to someone else?" I will... what about you?