U.S. News Names Biola a Best National University

Biola continues to rise in the top tier of America's best national universities

Sep. 10, 2018 By Jenna Loumagne

Biola University has again been named one of America’s best colleges, earning a spot in the top tier of the “best national universities” category of U.S. News and World Report’s Best Colleges 2019 rankings, released Sept. 10.


“The recognition of Biola University as a top tier national university affirms our aspiration to be a leading choice for Christian college students,” said Biola University President Barry H. Corey. “Our 110-year history of Christ-centered education provides a foundation for continued excellence with innovation as we prepare tomorrow’s leaders for success academically, spiritually and vocationally, to make a lasting contribution to the good of the world.”


The U.S. News rankings are considered the most notable of the annual published college rankings. For more than 20 years, Biola has been included on U.S. News’ list of national universities, which consists of 301 institutions that “offer a wide range of undergraduate majors as well as master’s and doctoral degrees,” according to U.S. News. This year, Biola is ranked at No. 157 overall, and is one of four universities from the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities (CCCU) to be ranked in the first tier, which consists of 229 schools. Biola is the top ranked CCCU member school in the National Universities category.


Biola’s overall score increased, partially due to Biola’s higher scores related to student retention and Biola’s selectivity in admissions. To calculate the rankings, U.S. News uses quantitative data that assesses universities’ performance in everything from graduation and retention rates to faculty resources, measuring up to 15 indicators of academic performance. This quantitative data results in 80 percent of the overall score; the remaining 20 percent is based on undergraduate academic reputation surveys.


The annual guide also spotlights Biola as one of the nation’s “A+ schools for B students.” The list includes universities that are deemed as top colleges that seek a broad and engaged student body, admitting students who are well-rounded and have a sense of purpose, and not immediately disqualifying a student from admission who may have less than a 4.0 GPA average.


The U.S. News rankings are the latest in a series of national recognitions for the university. In August, Princeton Review ranked Biola as a 2019 Best Regional College in the Best Western category. Princeton Review highlights 658 colleges across five regional zones that are considered academically outstanding and worth students’ consideration during a college search. Money Magazine also ranked Biola as one of 727 Best Colleges For Your Money in August.


In August, Forbes recognized Biola as one of “America’s Top Colleges.” Forbes’ list includes 650 schools, which represent the top 20 percent of all undergraduate institutions.


U.S. News’ Best Colleges 2018 guidebook will be in stores on Oct. 16 and is available for pre-order online.


Learn more about Biola’s academic programs.


Written by Jenna Loumagne, manager of media relations. For more information, contact Jenna at (562) 777-4061 or jenna.loumagne@biola.edu.



  • Victoria Pflanzer Sep. 11, 2018 at 7:40 PM

    I was pleased to see that in this article one of the measurements was..."The list includes universities that are deemed as top colleges that seek a broad and engaged student body, admitting students who are well-rounded and have a sense of purpose..." As a BIOLA parent with a daughter with strong Christian values and a deep sense of purpose to make a positive impact on her community within BIOLA, my hope is that they will support her.

Post a Comment

Your email will not be published as part of your comment.

Media Contact

  • Jenna Loumagne

    Assistant Director of Media Relations and Strategic Communication

  • Brenda Velasco

    Senior Director of University Communications


Biola University
13800 Biola Ave. La Mirada, CA 90639
© Biola University, Inc. All Rights Reserved.